Q: Timing belt problem - 2004 Nissan Maxima

After replacing the timing belt tensioner and starting the timing belt on the three specific marks, when we rotate the crankshaft the marks don't meet when back to top dead center. Is that usual?

Actually yes it is normal. I will go through a few things that you may or may not have done and hopefully we can get your issue resolved. When you put your crankshaft pulley on did you use an impact? If not then your timing will be off. My experience with timing belts/chains is that you need to have an impact when putting it back together or your timing will be off by a notch or so. Secondly, your camshaft and crankshaft pulleys will turn in different rotations thus your lines will not line up. So, if you turn your crankshaft 2 times your lines should come back together. You will have 2 top dead centers to my understanding, one on each rotation. If you keep turning you will find your answer. Do not start your car before your markings are correct as I am sure you have done so far. Thank you for your inquiry and good luck with your maintenance process.