Q: My clutch is stuck. I can still change gears but with a grinding noise.

I had a quick question.so last night I was driving my car on the freeway and a shifted from 4th to 5th and I heard a grinding nose when it went into gear so I pulled over and turned my car off and on and put it in 1st but when I did my clutch pedal didn't come up I can change gears but my clutch is still down and grinding when I shift and I feel like my cluch istnt all the way down but it's really hard .do you have any idea on what this issue can be?

Hey there. Your clutch is hydraulically operated. The clutch slave cylinder uses brake fluid from the master cylinder to engage and disengage the clutch. If the brake fluid level is good and the return spring on top of the clutch pedal under the dash is intact, the most likely culprit is the clutch slave cylinder. It may be leaking internally if no visible brake fluid leaks are evident. If the slave cylinder is bad, it will not provide enough hydraulic pressure to not only engage and disengage the clutch, but will not have enough pressure to return the clutch pedal as well. Have the slave cylinder inspected and/ or replaced by a certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic.

• My clutch is stuck. I can still change gears but with a grinding noise.