Q: F-150 loses power while trying to go reverse

I have a '98 F-150 5.4 L V8 with 208,000 miles on it. When I try to reverse, my truck loses almost all power and dies half of the time. I know it needs a muffler, coil pack. It has misifring on the fourth. I already changed the plug.

A: Fix your exhaust and coil packs first, beca...

Fix your exhaust and coil packs first, because if you'd want to get everything running right and your exhaust is leaking, that messes with your air flow out of the exhaust, which makes the oxygen sensors respond weirdly and can lead to the computer getting the wrong fuel to the engine.

So start there. You'd want to pray that it's not the reverse gear going out, because reverse is often the first gear that goes out on a Ford. And with 208,000 miles, odds are that your transmission is pretty much standing on its last leg. If you do need one, my advice is to go with the factory rebuilt transmission. To be sure that you are getting the right repair done, I recommend having a professional, such as one from YourMechanic, come to your home or office to inspect your vehicle's loss of power issue.