Q: My car won't start. It has a push button start. The car makes an attempt to crank, but struggles with turning over

asked by on February 07, 2017

2010 nissan altima 4 cyl, automatic, CVT, push button start. Makes attempt to crank, will not turn over. Eventually will start, but big problem for us. Not the battery, just replaced that. Lights, windows, radio all work, however, the drivers power window will not go up with one touch, only down, not sure if that matters, but that just started as well. How would I tell if it was the alternator versus the starter? Big storm coming Thursday and my husband has a 7 hour window tomorrow in which he can get this done. not sure what else it can be.

Car is not starting Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

Hello, thank you for writing in. If the starter is not turning over the engine fast enough, the engine will not start. Due to you symptom of the vehicle cranking slowly or poorly, chances are the starter is failing to spin the engine fast enough for the it to start its combustion cycles. You will want to turn your attention to the starter and its circuit. Your husband should check the available voltage at the starter to see if it is receiving enough power to properly do its job. If it is, then the starter has failed to use the power. If there is less than 10 volts, there is something that is causing the vehicle to lose electrical power. For more help resolving the starting issue, contact our service department to schedule an appointment.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $65/hr