Q: Car won't start after getting gas

Whenever I get gas, I have a hard time starting my car. When I turn the key, the car sounds like it's going to start but it just doesn't. Or it starts and runs for just a few seconds before cutting off.

It also doesn't seem to have any power right after I get gas. It will drive super slowly then suddenly jump into gear. There's some sort of rattling noise and it doesn't seem to get the mileage that it used to.

Do you have any idea what may be causing this?

The most common cause for this hard or no start after getting fuel is the purge valve is leaking fumes to the engine while fueling the vehicle. You should first have any computer codes checked by scanning the computer and repairing any stored codes. You should have the purge valve checked to see if it can hold a vacuum without leaking down. If it leaks then replace the purge valve. What is happening is the leaking purge valve is flooding the engine and causing it to not start or hard to start. Try to hold the throttle wide open to allow more air in when starting to clear out the rich mixture to help it start until the car is fixed.

3. Car won't start after getting gas