Q: Ran the car with no oil and won't turn on

Turned the car on and drove it for about 5 minutes. Then the battery light came on, then the car shut off. And it wouldn't turn on. Got it towed home and the next day I saw that it didn't have any engine oil so I added about 2 quarts and it turned on for about 10 seconds and it shut off. I tried turning it on again and it didn't. So people say I need new engine, some say water went into the the engine and that I can just get it fixed? Do I need new engine or is it fixable??

Hi, thanks for writing in. If you have ran your engine with no oil in it, it is almost a certainty that it will need to be replaced. If it is not starting now due to the no oil issue I would strongly recommend replacing the engine rather than trying to repair it. You can often get a replacement engine from a vehicle like yours that has been rear-ended recently. I would recommend looking for one that has equal or lower miles than the vehicle that you currently have. I recommend having one of our certified automotive technicians from YourMechanic come to your home or office to confirm what repairs or replacements you need first, before spending money to buy a new engine. Hope this helps and best of luck!

3. Ran the car with no oil and won't turn on