Q: What are the front seat belt pretensioners?

What are the front seat belt pretensioners?

Once upon a time, seat belts were little more than fabric belts that statically held you in place during an accident. They’ve become much more advanced since then. For instance, the driver and passenger front seat belts on your car include pretensioners that actually help reduce the chance of injury during an impact. The pretensioners activate to pull any slack out of the belt and hold it securely during an accident. They’re designed to work in concert with the front and Side Curtain air bags, as well. They can also work independently of any air bags (such as during a low-severity impact).

Tip

You should have your seat belt pretensioners replaced after any accident, whether the air bags were deployed or not.