Q: O/D off sensor lit up on the dashboard.

asked by on February 28, 2017

When I first start my truck up for the day or I'm stopped at stop signs/red lights, my truck will stall when I try to accelerate, it'll jump, then go slow and the cycle repeats. I noticed on the dash there was a flickering sensor that read "O/D off" I took it to a mechanic and he advised me it was my transmission. He said he can rebuild and install it with all the necessary work it needs for the truck to start working again. I would like to know if this sounds like a legit diagnosis including the estimate he gave me. The mechanic gave me an estimate of $975.

Hi there. I recommend changing the transmission fluid first to see if there is any contanimates in the oil and filter. If the fluid is dirty then the sensors will not work very good. If the fluid is good and new, then the sensor needs to be replaced as it could be damaged. You will need to check resistance on the overdrive sensor and if its working properly then the overdrive clutch could be slipping. If you need further assistance with your warning lights for your transmission, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.