Q: Should I replace my engine or buy a used car?

My impreza needs a new engine and oil pan. I'm having a hard time figuring out if I should replace these parts or buy another car. I live in Minnesota so winter driving is something to consider. 2 years ago I was quoted about $4500-5000 to fix it with an engine at about 100k mileage. It's been in my garage since then. Looking at kbb it's about $4800 to buy the same car with 120k mileage. Before the oil pan cracked and engine blew I fixed the bearings and something else totalling about $1400. I love this car and if I buy a different car it would be the same or similar if within my price range. I bought the car used from a dealership at 27k miles. Now I used to work as a process server so I put 50k miles on this car in the first year so most of my driving was long out of town trips mainly on highways so I feel that wear and tear on the car is minimal for 120k miles. I do not drive for a living anymore and my job is about a 10 minute walk away. Do I fix my car or buy another. Please help!

Considering that the price to replace your engine and the cost to purchase a new vehicle are in the same price range, I would choose the option that takes less time. This will remove this headache from your life sooner. If you think that you could find a new/similar vehicle to purchase before the parts are available and labor completed, I would do that. If you think that the car search will be long and tedious and also have a trusted mechanic who can get the job done quickly and efficiently, I would go that route.

3. Should I replace my engine or buy a used car?