Q: My car starts with a boost but when it shuts off and I try to start it again, it will not start. Battery works.

My car starts with a boost but when it shuts off and I try and start it again. It will not start.. My battery is not dead and works

A: According to what you’ve described, you may...

According to what you’ve described, you may have a bad battery. Low cold cranking amps, low voltage, and/or a bad cell can create the symptom you have described. Your vehicle will continue to run after the boost due to the alternator. However, if the battery is close to wearing out, you will not be able to restart the vehicle without a boost. A good battery tester will tell you the cold cranking amp reading and the voltage with a recommendation of whether to charge or replace the battery. YourMechanic has several available technicians that can assist you with diagnosing the no start and proceed with appropriate repairs.