Q: Engine dies after Battery Light came on

asked by on February 09, 2016

The Battery Light came on, and the engine died.

My diagnosis would depend on whether the Battery Light illuminated before the engine died, or if the engine died before the Battery Light illuminated.

If the Battery Light illuminated before the engine died, then you most likely have an issue with your alternator not charging, and you drove it until the battery went dead, stopping the fuel and ignition systems from working anymore. If your engine died before the Battery Light illuminated, then you may have had a crankshaft sensor failure, causing the engine to stall.

I recommend having a mechanic, like one from YourMechanic, check your battery and charging systems, by running a complete diagnostic check on your Battery Light.