Q: How do you use ABS?

asked by on December 15, 2015

How do you use ABS?

Your car is equipped with a four-wheel anti-lock brake system (ABS) that works in conjunction with your regular brakes to provide better safety during normal driving conditions. While the system is automatically engaged by the car’s computer, there are a few things that you should know:

• Don’t pump the brake pedal – press slowly and continuously during hard stops.

• Pumping the pedal during ABS operation will actually make it less effective.

• ABS only provides benefits on slick surfaces and during hard braking by preventing you from locking up the wheels. It doesn’t shorten stopping distance.