Q: Does my car need a clutch replacement?

Primarily when shifting from 1st to 2nd gear, the RPMs rev to 4000 or 5000 even when the clutch is released and the gas pedal is not even pressed that much, but the car barely accelerates. Then the transmission seems to correct and the car accelerates normally and the RPMs go back to normal. Shifting to other gears has similar effect but not as high RPMs. Does this mean the entire clutch needs to be replaced?

Hi there. It sounds like the clutch is slipping; similar to when an automatic transmission slips. The clutch disc provides the friction surface that allows the transfer of engine torque to the transmission. It accomplishes this by riding on the transmission input shaft and pressure is applied by the pressure plate against the disc and forces it against the flywheel. When the clutch disc is worn, it can start to slip. When it slips, the temperature of the disc can rise causing damage to the flywheel and pressure plate. I strongly suggest acquiring a qualified technician to perform an inspection to confirm the needed repair and avoid replacing unnecessary parts. YourMechanic has several available technicians that can assist you with an inspection of your clutch issue.

3. Does my car need a clutch replacement?