Q: I shift warning light wont start

Yesterday the warning i shift light came on and the car started but would not select automatic or reverse. Today the gear indicator is showing the number 8 and the car will not start at all.

A: Hello there, It sounds like your vehicle ha...

Hello there, It sounds like your vehicle has gone into a failsafe mode due to a transmission fault. In most cases a check engine light will also be displayed with the symptoms you have described. A few different components can cause the shift light, not shifting into gear and no start. The most likely would be a shift solenoid, the transmission position sensor, neutral safety switch or the transmission itself. A qualified Technician such as one from YourMechanic will be able to diagnose this fault and perform any repairs required.