Q: There's a ticking sound by the engine, does the timing belt need replacing?

I have bought a 58 plate Ford Fiesta Style and I come to find out theres a ticking noise by the engine. Does the timing belt need replacing? It has covered just under 84,000 miles. I am not sure what to do. My car starts every time and drives as it should. As far as I know there are no other faults or symptoms. Theres simply only a ticking noise.

Hello there. The ticking sound coming from your Ford Fiesta isn’t necessarily caused by the timing belt. In fact, most ticking sounds are caused by lubrication issues, when oil is having difficulty reaching the top of the cylinder head. The ticking comes from valve hardware the is causing metal to metal contact. Sometimes this is due to clogged oil galleys, or the engine is low on oil. It can also be triggered by problems with the oil pump. Try checking the oil first, adding recommended oil to make sure it’s full and then see if the ticking continues. If it does, contact one of our local certified mechanics before you make the decision to replace the timing belt. They can complete an engine noise inspection to determine the precise source of your issues.

3. There's a ticking sound by the engine, does the timing belt need replacing?