Q: Rebuilt & replaced engine confirmation

Hello I recently had a replaced and rebuilt engine put into my vehicle and I would like to know how I can confirm that it is a different engine than the one originally placed in the vehicle. I've heard that the vin number on the rebuilt engine should NOT match the VIN number on the dashboard. Is this correct?

Hi and thank you for contacting YourMechanic. Yes, you are correct. If the repair shop that performed the work claimed they "replaced" your engine then the serial number on the engine block will be different. If the engine was "rebuilt" then the serial number will be the same if the rebuilt the engine that already existed in the engine. You should be able to contact your local dealer and they can do a build search for you to obtain how the car came off the assembly line, including the original serial number from the engine. If you are not the original owner (if you are the 2nd -3rd owner etc.), this could make it very difficult to prove due to the vehicle being in possession of the another owner who could have also replaced the engine.