Q: My car accelerates on its own and rpm goes high anf it happens for like 4 secs then goes back to normal

asked by on August 20, 2017

I have a 1998 gmc yukon 5.7 engine automatic transmission and when i use it after a while it starts accelerating on its own n rpm goes high n its hard to stop so i throw it on neutral and it does it for 5 second and becomes normal then after 10 min or more it does it again

Engine idle speed is high Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

It is possible that your throttle cable could be getting stuck causing the throttle to stay open. I would recommend visually inspecting the cable and lubricating it if necessary to resolve this issue. If this does not fix the problem, I would recommend having an engine runs rough inspection performed to determine the exact cause of this issue. Consider YourMechanic as this inspection can be completed at your home or office.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $65/hr