Q: Car heat is cold until I add water and over heating with out telling me

Hi my Hyundai Santa fe 2002 heat is going cold then it goes hot when I add water to it then it goes hot and I think my weeping hole is leaking out the water pump when I'm in park or sitting more then anything but when I pit it in air it is cold not hot like my other cars have some when they over heated could all this be because some one left my overflow cap off and my radiator cap not working all the way or do I have major problems due to the over flow cap being lost with out me knowing and I drove it I put in a sealant for the radiator and block heads heating core and so on.. It seem to be working I thought until here is the problems all over again please help me find out what it is and what I can do cheap fix it to get by with my 2 kids thanks so much

Car is overheating Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote
Water Pump Replacement $171.86 - $1147.02 Get a Quote

Hello, thank you for writing in. There seems to be an issue that we need to take on first and foremost. This is the fact that you are having to add coolant to the system. This means the coolant is leaking either externally (onto the hot engine), or internally (being consumed with the air/fuel mixture). The best way to tell is to simply run the vehicle and watch for the leak. If the engine is consuming the coolant, you are likely seeing white smoke from the exhaust. This is most commonly resolved by replacing the head gasket. Common components to look for an external leak with are the thermostat and the water pump. Both would cause the symptoms you are explaining. Fore more help with the issue, contact our service department to schedule an appointment.

If you believe your water pump is leaking, I would recommend checking this before anything else. If your heater is not getting hot this is because your coolant level is dropping. Replacement of the leaking water pump should resolve this issue. I would recommend a Fluid leak inspection to determine where the coolant is leaking from. Once the source of the coolant leak has been found replace the leaking part and this issue should be resolved. Consider your mechanic for your water pump replacement as this can be done from your home or office.