Q: Plastic key in ignition

A plastic key got stuck in the ignition switch. Tee car key still goes into the ignition, but the car won't start.

A: Hello, The metal key and plastic housing bo...

Hello, The metal key and plastic housing both need to be intact for the vehicle to start. The plastic housing holds a computer chip which sends a signal to the anti-theft system to start the vehicle. The metal key acts as an antenna to relay the information from the chip to the anti-theft system. If the key becomes broken or stuck into the ignition, the signal to the anti-theft system could be disrupted, thus disabling a vehicle from starting. At times the key can be extracted by the partially disassembling the lock cylinder by a locksmith or certified technician. I would recommend having a trained technician, like whom our company provides, inspect the ignition system for faults and to attempt removing the key. If the key cylinder is damaged, a mechanic can replace the cylinder so you could have your car running in not time.