Q: Plastic key in ignition

A plastic key got stuck in the ignition switch. Tee car key still goes into the ignition, but the car won't start.

Hello, The metal key and plastic housing both need to be intact for the vehicle to start. The plastic housing holds a computer chip which sends a signal to the anti-theft system to start the vehicle. The metal key acts as an antenna to relay the information from the chip to the anti-theft system. If the key becomes broken or stuck into the ignition, the signal to the anti-theft system could be disrupted, thus disabling a vehicle from starting. At times the key can be extracted by the partially disassembling the lock cylinder by a locksmith or certified technician. I would recommend having a trained technician, like whom our company provides, inspect the ignition system for faults and to attempt removing the key. If the key cylinder is damaged, a mechanic can replace the cylinder so you could have your car running in not time.

3. Plastic key in ignition