Q: Car starts and then dies

My car starts, but after 20 or minutes it cuts off. It says the battery is dead, but after jump start the same thing happens again.

A: The details you provided about your Impala ...

The details you provided about your Impala suggest there may be a problem with your car’s charging system. What is likely happening is that your alternator is failing intermittently after it starts. This means that the alternator is sometimes charging the battery while other times it is not. When it is alternating like this, it puts the battery in charge of keeping the engine running and most car batteries will only run a vehicle for about 15-20 minutes without a working alternator. If your battery is a couple of years old, there’s a good chance that a failing alternator will cause the battery to prematurely fail as well. I highly recommend having a certified mechanic check the alternator, as well as the battery, to determine the cause of your car dying after starting.