Q: Intermittent flashing Check Engine Light

the check engine light is not on all the time, when it comes on its starts to flash on and off -- which only happens when it acts like it is not getting enough gas....I think its the fuel pump as it does not always to it. Please help

The Check Engine Light is flashing on and off signifies a serious fault, such as the engine misfiring, which could result in unburned fuel being dumped into the catalytic converter thus overheating the converter.

Your circumstance will require a Check Engine Light diagnostic to determine if the problem is the fuel system or ignition system related or both. A common cause is a faulty plug, plug wire, or coil. You can get an engine misfire if there is corrosion on the spark wire metal terminal where it’s plugged into the coil or at the distributor cap when the weather is wet. If an injector is sticking or the fuel pump pressure is too low, then the engine will misfire as well. Often, it is a limited issue and thus economical to repair so it is well-worth getting it checked out and repaired promptly. If an issue like this festers, it has the potential to damage other costly parts such as the catalytic converter. If you would like to have a clear diagnostic of the Check Engine code, a certified professional, like one from YourMechanic, can come to your car’s location to perform this.

3. Intermittent flashing Check Engine Light