Q: 2005 Toyota Prius won't turn off

asked by on March 16, 2016

The dashboard lights in my car won't come on, even though the car is running. I also cannot get my car to turn off.

The symptoms you describe for your Toyota Prius lead me to believe you have a bad ground in your electrical system. A bad ground connection can create all kinds of electrical problems, as it prevents adequate voltage from reaching the components that need it most. One fix you can attempt is to turn off your Prius and hold down the power button for up to 30 seconds. Once you hear the engine turn off, you can release the power button. To be certain that a faulty ground connection is the source of your Toyota’s symptoms, I highly recommend enlisting the assistance of a certified mechanic to come by and perform an electrical diagnostic on your Prius to determine why your car is staying on. They have the tools and knowledge to identify the exact cause of your symptoms and assist you in making the necessary repairs to get your Toyota performing the way it should.