Q: Rattle in gas pedal and then loss of acceleration

On the interstate, I was driving in the carpool lane during rush hour, around 5:15pm, when there was suddenly a rattle anytime I pressed the gas pedal. While at 60 mph, I removed my foot from the gas pedal. I tried pressing it again a few seconds later and the rattle was still present, plus there was no acceleration. It dropped to 40 mph and I again removed my foot from the pedal. 20-30 seconds after that (which was also same time since the first rattle), the engine stalled at 35 mph. There was a lot of traffic and fortunately the interstate had a left shoulder for me to get on where the car slowly stopped. The power loss had been totally without warning, unexpected, and sudden. This was extremely dangerous, plus very frightening! The dealership told me today that the problem was due to the high pressure fuel pump having failed. What is your assessment of the problem and how should it be fixed?

Hello. It is very common for the high pressure fuel pump to fail and cause this. If the engine is lacking fuel then it cannot run right, which will cause the noise you were hearing. It is perfectly normal for the engine to lose power when this occurs due to the lack of fuel pressure. It is likely safe that the dealer did a complete check of the fuel pump to diagnose this issue, but if you would rather have this double checked and repaired elsewhere, a technician from YourMechanic can come to your location to take a look and replace your fuel pump if necessary.

3. Rattle in gas pedal and then loss of acceleration