Q: Timing chain replacement on a 4-cylinder, 2-liter Tracker

I have a Tracker with 2-liter, 4-cylinder engine with 150,000 miles on it. I don't know if my timing chain needs replacing. Timing seals are okay. Should I change it regardless? What is your opinion regarding the reliability of 2.0 engines?

A: Those 2.0s are decent engines. The 3-cylind...

Those 2.0s are decent engines. The 3-cylinder ones are garbage, but the 2-liters are pretty good engines. First thing you are to do is, find out if there's a timing belt or a timing chain, because if it has a timing belt you definitely want to change it now. If it's got a chain, leave it alone.

A chain can lasts a really long time. When they finally do wear out, they'll make some noise and rattle but when you hear the noise and rattling, then it is time to change it. If it's got a belt, you'll definitely want to replace the timing belt now before it breaks with that kind of mileage.