Q: Car makes noise over 30 mph

My car makes a noise when I get up to 30 mph. It also feels sluggish getting up speed.

A: Several components can cause strange noises...

Several components can cause strange noises during vehicle operation. The sluggish symptom points to a lack of power, which can come from a fault in the engine or transmission as the engine makes the power and the transmission puts that power to the road. Lack of maintenance or a failed sensor is enough to choke an engine. This includes spark plugs, the fuel filter, or pump and air mass and oxygen sensors. Also dirty/burned transmission fluid can hinder performance to some degree. Have an experienced mechanic, like the ones here at YourMechanic, look over the vehicle’s components for worn/noisy parts and any missed maintenance items.