Q: 2006 BMW X5 White Smoke From Exhaust

asked by on November 27, 2017

There was white smoke coming from the exhaust on start up on a cold day. It has now gone away, but the car idles really rough like it is going to die. Has been leaking oil for a while but I always make sure it is full. On start up this morning the engine sounds terrible. I'm thinking it could be a CCV/PCV issue and cam shaft position sensor?

Car is making a noise Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

My guess is the valve stem seals are bad. This is a very common problem with BMW vehicles the same era as yours. As the seals age and harden, they allow oil to seep past the valves and into the combustion chamber. Also for the terrible sound and rough idle, they are probably unrelated to the white smoke. The first step in diagnosing these two issues would be check for any stored diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs). These codes serve as a starting point for any further diagnostics. I recommend having a professional, such as one from YourMechanic, diagnose your vehicle firsthand.