Q: Check Engine light and camshaft position sensor code

The Check Engine Light goes on and off. Also, the camshaft position sensor code is preventing me from passing a smog check.

Hi. If you have a camshaft position sensor code that is coming up, then that is why the Check Engine Light is coming off and on. Most of the time, this is caused by a sensor failure, but it can also happen if the cam timing is off. If the timing belt has not been changed on the engine, then it may be worn out and is affecting the valve timing which will trigger these codes. A mechanic would typically inspect the valve timing and also check to see if the cam sensor is falling within resistance specifications. I would recommend you have a mechanic, like one from YourMechanic, inspect the Check Engine Light and repair any damaged parts.