Q: Ticking noise from passenger side

Hi.

I have 2009 dodge charger hemi it started to make ticking noise irregular after driving the car for a while it ticks for second continues 3 to 4 times then disappear it seems coing from passenger side I have checked the wheel bearing and it was good, i took the car to the dealer and the checked it out they said there is nothing no problem on it they cant hear the sound . note the noise only appears for a seconds then go away, I need your help please I cant sleep.

Hello, I’m sure the dealership heard the noise however it is a normal noise from a Chrysler Hemi engine. This noise is most likely a lifter rattle or noise where a lifter spring is sticking closed and rattling in its pocket. If the noise changes pitch or decibel when applying throttle to the engine in neutral, this is probably you’re concern.

You can try using a high quality oil with a friction modifier that may quiet the noise a little bit, without tearing the engine apart and replacing the lifters you will continue having this noise. Its not going to explode and it probably wont cause any further damage until it fails permanently.

I would recommend (changing the oil)[https://www.yourmechanic.com/services/change-oil-and-filter] and requesting a high quality oil and maybe a friction modifier additive. I would try that before jumping to any conclusions because that may lube the lifter enough to get it moving again.

If you’d like a second opinion on the noise, have one of our mobile technicians come to your home or office to diagnose the noise firsthand for an accurate repair.

3. Ticking noise from passenger side