Q: Catalytic converter bad.

My car did not pass the smog check. I was told it was the catalytic converter that has failed. I have, under advisement, changed the O2 sensors. But that did not fix the problem. The next step, I am told, is to change the catalytic converter.

Catalytic converters do have a federal required warranty that most people are unaware of, talk to your dealer to find out if you are still covered. Early catalytic converter failure can be cause by other factors including coolant contamination can melt the internals, vacuum leaks cause similar failures and also some off road fuel additives do the same thing. Sticking to the manufacturers recommended fuel ratings can help increase the life and performance of the various components of your vehicle

3. Catalytic converter bad.