Q: P0011 engine light came on and went off a couple days later. Should I still go to shop and get it checked?

Vehicle running fine, need to get brakes but I'm getting those soon. Light came on and still ran decent.

A P0011 code indicates that the intake camshaft is consistently running more advanced timing than the engine computer has commanded.

Usually, you should also notice a rough-running condition, poor fuel economy, emissions problems, hard starting and hesitation along with this problem. If you aren’t noticing any of these problems, your camshaft position sensor may be registering an intermittent code.

Intermittent codes can be hard to diagnose and may need to be worsen in order to arrive at a correct diagnosis. We recommend that have a technician clear the trouble codes in the engine computer and see if P0011 returns. The mechanical problem associated with a P0011 code may be due to poor oil supply to the phasers which control and adjust camshaft timing.

In some cases, oil supply may be compromised due to a too-thick grade of oil which can’t make it through oil passages, and changing the oil with a thinner viscosity can be enough to improve oil flow. Another possibility can be a defective sensor, or corrosion on the wiring, terminals or connectors for the sensor itself. You can contact a mechanic in your area through YourMechanic for proper diagnosis of the engine code, and camshaft position sensor replacement if needed.

• P0011 engine light came on and went off a couple days later. Should I still go to shop and get it checked?