Q: Car overheating.

My Check Engine light is coming on. I was told it is possibly the thermostat and a low coolant level. I filled the coolant and had the thermostat replaced at the dealership and the car still ran hot. I took the car back to the dealership and now they are saying it is the water pump.

Hi there. The check engine light on this vehicle can turn on from the engine running too cold and too hot. If the coolant level was low from the beginning then the system should have been pressure tested to identify all leaks. If only the thermostat housing was leaking then I can see why that was recommended. Once that was replaced another pressure test should have been done to identify other problem areas. If the water pump is now leaking then it needs to be replaced also. I would get a second opinion from a certified mechanic, like one from YourMechanic, who has the right tools and knowledge to perform this pressure test and diagnosis to repair the vehicle properly.