Q: Power steering hard to turn

asked by on March 01, 2016

The power steering is making a noise and it is hard to turn. I added power steering fluid, but it did not help.

Steering wheel is hard to turn Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Although you added fluid, did you check to see that the level was in the appropriate mark for what the temperature the engine is (cold/hot)? If so, its likely that the pump bearing has failed and which means the unit requires replacement. Have a certified mechanic verify this steering problem and flush the system before replacing the pump. This will help ensure that it doesn’t get contaminated with metal shavings from the failed unit.