Q: Gas gauge malfunctioning and Service Engine Light on

asked by on September 14, 2016

After driving several hundreds of miles, the gas gauge showed that I had plenty of gas, so I kept driving. A short while after that, the engine stopped and I had it towed to a service station. The mechanic found no problems with my truck other than it needed gasoline. Gas was added and it ran fine. After driving a while, I noticed the the gas gauge was still not decreasing like it should. A few days later, when I started driving, the low fuel sensor light chimed and came on. I had just filled up the tank a few miles previous to this, so I knew it could not be low on gas. Now, the low gas light is on constantly, even when I fill up the tank completely. Also the service engine light comes on every time I start the truck. What could be causing these lights to come on?

Check Engine Light is on Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote
Fuel Pressure Sensor Replacement $118.53 - $998.89 Get a Quote

Thank you for asking about your 2006 GMC Sierra 1500 HD. More than likely, the problem is the fuel sensor, which is built into the fuel sending unit. This assembly is mounted in the gas tank. This is a common problem with vehicles like yours. Symptoms include incorrect fuel gauge readings and an illuminated Check Engine Light. I recommend having a professional, such as one from YourMechanic, inspect this problem and replace the fuel sensor if necessary.