Q: Humming noise coming from my tires. Not the wheel bearings and not the shocks or tires

asked by on July 12, 2017

There's a humming noise coming from my tires. It was worse at the back. My back tires had some flat spots too. They checked wheel bearings; they're solid. Changed the shocks and back tires, no change. The noise is slightly better but still quite bad.. Please help!

Car is making a noise Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

Wireless chassis ears (remote microphones) can be mounted at each wheel position to pinpoint the origin of the humming. Wheel bearings that have zero play (i.e., are absolutely "solid") can make a huge amount of noise if there are merely defects on the bearing race. Very often, you can NOT determine whether a wheel bearing accounts for noise based on an external exam or even measurement. That is because the noise, often humming as you describe it, is caused by relatively small imperfections in the bearing races and those imperfections can only be seen if you totally disassemble the bearing. If you request a vehicle noise diagnostic - suspect wheel bearings, the responding certified mechanic will pinpoint the origin of the noise and get this issue taken care of for you. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr