Q: My battery went dead, replaced it with a new one and within 150 miles the Check Engine Warning Light came on.

Baytery died and all of the instrument warning lights illimatated and the vehicle died. I replaced with new battery and all warning lights went out. Drove the vehicle for about 100 miles and the battery voltage and check engine light illuminated again, the battery voltage went back to normal, but check engine still on. The dealership said it is a hybrid cooling fan and it will take up to three months to get. What can be done?

A: There are a relatively large number of Tech...

There are a relatively large number of Technical Service Bulletins that GM has issued covering faults and difficulties with electrical components in your vehicle (ref: National Highway Traffic Safety Administration on-line database which we searched for your year, make and model). Among these numerous Bulletins is GM Service Bulletin SB-10052313-2676 which appears to refer to the specific fan that has failed. The parts identified in the Service Bulletin were at one point difficult to get but I see a GM Bulletin (update) dated June 2016, that suggests the parts are more broadly available now.

Of great relevance, if the failed part that you speak of is the focus of a special Service Campaign (i.e., is covered in the Service Bulletin) you should avail yourself of the possibility that the dealer and GM will consider it as a warranty repair. Such is not unusual.

As far as the alleged three month back-order, on the face of it I don't believe it (i.e., it is not credible and/or indicates an unwillingness or disinterest in "looking" for the part for you). If you ask the dealer for the exact part number, and if you provide us with the exact part number, we will be glad to do a search on your behalf to determine the availability of the part.

Coincident with that you should contact GM customer service and open a case with them for two reasons:

1. If a TSB does in fact relate to a fault you are experiencing, there is a possibility that it should be considered a warranty repair

2. The issue of the "non-availability" of the parts (3 months delay is obviously irrational and inexplicable) has to be resolved.

You should also file a complaint with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration inasmuch as other consumers rely on the NHTSA database to understand the frequency of failure of parts within these vehicles.

Let us know how we can assist you further but clearly at least two threshold issues could be addressed so that you can move forward with getting the vehicle repaired. If you'd like a second opinion on this, have a certified technician, like one from YourMechanic, diagnose the Check Engine Light firsthand and suggest what to do from there. Best of luck.