Q: Advice on Winter Prep

My son is about to take our 1999 Isuzu Vehicross from Texas to Michigan for college. I'd like to get as much done on the SUV as possible to prolong its road worthiness, especially for the winters up north. It will be a lot better for me to address this preventative my now than across the country, What types of services would you recommend (brakes, hoses, fluids, tires, belts, lights, etc)

A: Hi there, thanks for writing in. I'd be...

Hi there, thanks for writing in. I'd be happy to provide you with my suggestions to prolong the life of this car, especially for the cold winter in Michigan. First, here are some tips for driving an SUV in the winter.

A 75-point safety inspection would probably be a good place to start. After confirming that all parts are in good condition, you should get an oil change, have the coolant replaced with 50/50 coolant, have the tires checked to be sure they are winter/summer compatible tires. The roads in the north will get very slick in the winter, and tires are the most common causes for not gripping the slick surfaces.

Hope this helps and good luck!