Q: vanagon looses speed uphill

I have a 91 vanagon 2,1 the motor run fine only problem is it has no power. If i idle i can rev it up to 7000rpm but in drive it struggles to get to 100km/h. Uphill it looses power and i have to gear down. I changed the plugs, coil. Any advice. What i can also add is that it runs smoothly no jerk nothing. Any advice

A: Keeping up with the tune up and maintenance...

Keeping up with the tune up and maintenance on any vehicle is paramount, when it comes to maintaining the performance on any vehicle. With that being said, you must also take into consideration that a 1991 Volkswagen Vanagon with a 2.1 liter four cylinder came out of the factory with a 90 horsepower rating, and 117 foot pounds of torque. That's not a whole lot of power for any vehicle, and when you combine that with the fact that the base vehicle weighs in at a hefty 3460 pounds, and the fact that it has almost 160,000 miles on it, it honestly sounds like it may be doing pretty well. You've got to figure that if it were to lose just 30 percent of its performance, which is on the low side, you would be down to 60 horsepower, and about 90 foot pounds of torque. To be sure that you are getting all that the vehicle has to offer, keeping up with the maintenance and tune up items are going to be your best best, short of a rebuild.