Q: Q: Brakes locked after the car is parked for a while

My car keeps locking the brakes when positioned upright, after being parked for some time. They work fine when I am driving and as soon as I start the car, they unlock. But, I fear they might lock up during driving so I never really pushh them to hard. I would like to know more about why this happens. Also, how is brake fluid checked?

Hello. If the brakes are locking up as the vehicle sits, then you typically either have an issue with the drum brake shoes catching on the backing plate or if all four of the brakes are locking up then you more than likely have a bad master cylinder.

It is common for the master cylinder to bind internally or for the ports inside of the master cylinder to become clogged. I typically start by checking to see which brakes are locking up and then bleeding off one line at a time to find out where the pressure is building. If you need to have this repaired, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose your brake system and make the needed repairs.

3. Q: Brakes locked after the car is parked for a while