Q: Car won't accelerate and warning light flashing.

I cannot accelerate. A red warning light appears on the dashboard. What is the problem and what do I need to have replaced?

The flashing light you are seeing is most likely your Check Engine Light. When the Check Engine Light is solid, then this is letting you know that there is a problem with the emissions system in your vehicle.

When the Check Engine Light flashes, it means that there may be a misfire in the engine that could damage the catalytic converter in your exhaust. The Check Engine Light flashing means that it is not recommended to drive the vehicle any further. If you continue to drive, the catalytic converter may be damaged which can be very expensive to replace.

Based on the age of your vehicle, this condition is most likely due to a faulty ignition coil. I would ask for help from one of the mechanics at YourMechanic. They can come to your home or office to diagnose your acceleration issue and perform the repairs that are needed to get your vehicle running properly again.