Q: What is a normal sitting at a light coolant temp. Been going up to 218

I recently bought this 09 HHR 2.2 It has a coolant temp that goes up and down when sitting. It’s not overheating

But it goes up to about 220 after sitting (air off) then goes down.

At a light it goes up to about 199-200

What is too high? Or is considered normal

Normally, the indicator (or pointer) on the engine temperature gauge should be in the "center", or lower. If your cooling gauge has numbers, the acceptable operating range is 195 to 215 degrees. Above or below that range, in normal engine operation, may suggest a cooling system or engine problem. As a cooling system ages, operation can become "marginal" and temperatures can consequently creep up. If you believe the engine is operating on the high end of the temperatire range, you can request an engine overheating diagnostic and the responding certified mechanic will investigate the particulars and resolve any deficiencies in the cooling system, as needed. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

3. What is a normal sitting at a light coolant temp. Been going up to 218