Q: BMW e90 320d jerking at pull away, and in 2nd gear, reduced power, turbo sound has changed.

This past weekend I did quite a bit of mileage on a dust road, since then I have noticed a few changes.. pull aways in 1st and accelerating in second have been accompanied by a jerking motion, power has been reduced, it feels as though the turbo isn't kicking in like it used to.. The sound of the turbo used to be a clean smooth whistle and now it sounds like it's choking almost like a tyre letting out air after a puncture as if it's struggling along, the engine does however sound fine when it's idling, the problems only become apparent when accelerating, not sure if it's air filters, turbo issues, or perhaps firing on 3 cylinders.. The vehicle still gets up to speed but their is a slight change in acceleration (reduced)

A: Hi there. Since this occurred right after d...

Hi there. Since this occurred right after driving in some dusty conditions, I would check the air filter first. If the air filter is dirty then this will occur. If the air filter is fine, then I would also clean out the air flow sensor as those get dirty and cause this. If that is fine also, then I would typically scan the computer for codes to see if there are any and to see how the sensors are reading. It may have a bad sensor.

I would also suspect that the dust may have gotten into the turbo causing it to bind. In some cases it can be cleaned, but may need to be replaced. This is not that common though. If you are thinking of having your car checked out for this problem, consider YourMechanic, as a certified professional can come to your car's location to diagnose the loss of power and pinpoint the needed repair.