Q: Power steering has stopped working

asked by on February 19, 2016

The power steering has quit working, and a power steering assist fault is showing.

Your car has Electronic Power Steering Assist (EPSA). In this system, the EPSA module takes inputs from various sensors, and uses that information to control a reversible motor inside the power steering rack. The main input to the EPSA module is the torque sensor, but it also receives information from other sensors and modules over the communication network. The power steering assist fault indicates that the module has detected a problem in the system. There are a number of potential causes for the symptoms you are experiencing. However, there is a related Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) that may be of some use. The TSB states that the EPSA module should be reprogrammed if there is a lack of power assist. This must be done using a scan tool with OEM capabilities. I suggest you call a trained professional, such as one from YourMechanic, so see if this applies to your vehicle.