Q: My car is overheating and the coolant is leaking from the radiator - 2000 Honda Civic

My car keeps overheating. If I fill the radiator with water it does not overheat. It does not hold coolant there seems to be a leak because I find antifreeze stains on my driveway. Radiator is 4 months old.

The cooling system is designed to be a closed, pressurized system. It acts kind of like a pressure cooker. When there is a leak in the system, it causes the water to boil and will heat up quicker, as the air in the system will not dissipate the heat like the coolant is able to do. There are several places that a leak can occur. The radiator, the hoses, the water pump, thermostat housing, and so on.

It would be best to have a certified mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, take a look at it and identify where the coolant is leaking from and suggest any needed repairs.

• My car is overheating and the coolant is leaking from the radiator - 2000 Honda Civic