Q: 2000 Mercury Sable power steering leak

asked by on February 20, 2017

Good Day Sir, I have a leak on my pressure line of my power steering on a 2000 Mercury Sable. I recently replaced the alternator on this vehicle and in the process I believe that I loosened up the "filter" that mounts to the alternator. Trying figure out how to tighten that back up. Can you help??

Hello, and thank you for writing in. The vehicle’s in-line filter is housed in a unit that is either clamped on or has a quick disconnect. If you are able to locate the leak, you can determine if the filter needs to be adjusted, or just reconnected. If you have a clamped on unit (often aftermarket) then you can simply adjust and re-tighten the clamps. Since you are in a position to access the filter, you should consider replacing or cleaning it at this time. The filter is connected to a low pressure return line, so your fluid line does not need to be clamped dramatically tight. If you are experiencing this leak on a high pressure line then you are not working with a filter, and you are likely more concerned with the pump. For more help resolving the issue, contact our service department to schedule an appointment.