Q: Gear locked and car not starting

asked by on November 10, 2016

I have a 320i BMW. I parked my car from work during winter time and in the morning as I woke up to start the car, it wouldn't, l tried shifting the gear and it wouldn't move. I called in the mechanic, he checked and noticed that the starter had no issues, he started the car from the starter and it started. He tried shifting gears and they couldn't move. We consulted the book and came aware of limp mode. He pressed the gear release button and gears shifted. When he sent it back to park it couldn't move again. He released the gear again and we drove to test performance. The car moved, but as it reaches rev 2 it became difficult for it to pass. Even when he fully pressed the accelerator it moved slowly. After it passed rev2 it moved up and never changed. It went through to 6 without changing. I am stranded.

Shifter Interlock Solenoid Replacement $96.05 - $1115.92 Get a Quote

Hi there. There is an issue with the shifter interlock lock solenoid in the shifter housing. The solenoid has lost power or it has been shorted out. Remove the carpeting and get to the shifter housing and remove it from the floor board. Turn the shifter housing over and you will see the interlock solenoid. Remove the solenoid harness and test the harness for power. If there is power to the solenoid harness, then the solenoid needs to be replaced. If you need further assistance troubleshooting your vehicle, then seek out a technician, such as one from Your Mechanic, that can assist you with the shifter interlock solenoid.