Q: What would cause a whining noise from the front of the engine in my 2004 Lincoln LS

We were hoping to get a new battery, oil change, and have a mechanic do a fluid inspection to bring our 2004 v8 Lincoln LS out of a 3yr hibernation ... We checked if it for leaks (none), the oil+if other fluids were level - steering was low. It turned on fine but we immediately noticed a loud whining noise while idle which also continued when we moved it out to the driveway. Any ideas on what this could be ?

Hello. A whining noise from the front of your engine can come from a number of things. Most of the time though it is caused by a failure in the power steering pump or low fluid in the pump. I usually check the fluid in it first and then remove the engine drive belt to try and isolate the noise. If the pump is not causing the noise it may be one of the other accessories, but the pump is the most common. If you are thinking of having this fixed, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to you to [diagnose where the whining noise is coming from] https://www.yourmechanic.com/services/noise-from-engine-or-exhaust-inspection

3. What would cause a whining noise from the front of the engine in my 2004 Lincoln LS