Q: key in accessory position and can' turn off or on can't get key to turn stuck in accessory position

asked by on October 08, 2016

had key in ignition turned it to accessory position and took key out . put key back in stuck in accessory position and can't turn key off or on how do i get key to move ignition to on or off ?

Hi and thanks for contacting YourMechanic. When the key is in the ignition switch, the key should not be able to come out of the switch when it has been turned. When the key is able to come out of the ignition switch in the On position or Accessory position, then the lock inside the tumbler has failed. Try to turn the steering wheel side to side to see if the steering wheel lock is causing your issues. If your steering wheel lock is not the issue, then you will need to have a new ignition switch tumbler installed and you will have to get a new key that matches the vehicle. If your ignition switch is stuck in the accessory position and will not shut off the power to the car, you can put graphite into the tumbler to help with the key; although this will damage the tumbler, you will be able to shut off the power to the vehicle. I recommend replacing the ignition switch and key to solve your stuck-in-accessory position situation. If you need assistance in getting your vehicle’s ignition switch to shut off, you should contact a technician. A YourMechanic certified mechanic can come to your location to perform an Ignition key is stuck and does not turn Inspection on your vehicle and diagnose this issue.