Q: oil light on, loud and noisy while idling, what does this mean?

Hi,my oil light went on for the first time,and temp gauge stayed at halfway (between C and H) I drove it approx 5 miles at 45mph to get home. I later checked the oil, seemed about a quart low, so put a quart in. I then checked and topped off the battery cells (distilled water), didn't have coolant, so put in water (appeared lower than normal), filled wiper fluid reservoir. Now, makes a loud, low noise (sounds like "lug,lug,lug,lug when repeated fast). When I put it in reverse, the sound is hardly noticable, but stil there, but when in drive, it becomes louder. The oil light remains on, although seems to drive fine. I deoend on this car, and am not financially able to replace it. Any thoughts? Is it safe to drive? Is it the engine? What are signs to look for? Thank you!!

A: Hi there: Although it's very hard to t...

Hi there:

Although it's very hard to tell remotely without physically inspecting your Toyota, I don't believe the oil indicator light and the thumping noise are related. It's possible that your front wheel bearings are what is causing the repeated noise; especially if it progressively gets quicker as you drive forward. It could also be CV joints or other suspension parts that are causing the noise. The best advice I can offer is to have one of our mobile mechanics come to your home or office and complete a car is making a noise inspection. This will allow them to pinpoint the source of your Avalon's issues and recommend the right repairs, so you save time, money and ensure your Toyota is repaired correctly the first time.