Q: How can I tell if it is my water pump or thermostat that needs to be placed?

My car starts to overheat after driving about 5 miles the water in the reservoir starts to boil over. Then it makes like a squeaking sound that's only happened 3 times Maybe also the hose from the radiator gets very hot and hard no longer is it squishy so I'm pretty sure it's either the water pump or thermostat but since I'm not a mechanic I do not know which is that something y'all can diagnose when you come out to do the repair and do y'all include the part in the price or would I need to order the part? And I would like to schedule to get this work done on Monday or Tuesday thank you and look forward to hearing back

A: The water pump moves the coolant through th...

The water pump moves the coolant through the system and the thermostat regulates this flow to maintain operating temperature. If the water pump has failed, the coolant will not flow through the system so the temperature will rise quickly and the heat will be concentrated on the engine. An experienced technician like one from YourMechanic can use an infrared temperature gun to check temperatures along the cooling system and determine whether the problem is the water pump, the thermostat or both. Since the vehicle has overheated already, the thermostat should be replaced along with any other cooling system service.