Q: When I stop my car it starts to turn off. When I run my car for a bit and turn it off, it won't turn back on when I twist the key.

asked by on November 06, 2016

I've had problems with my car all year. At first, I thought it was the alternator. Apparently, My oil gasket was cracked and it was leaking onto my alternator. After installing a brand new one, it seemed to be running fine. I ran about 40 more miles until I went to get my oil gasket fixed at firestone. After they fixed the oil gasket and ran a diagnostics, they told me I needed a new battery. The car ran fine after leaving firestone and cut back on after I turned it off. Mind you, I needed new tags so I was unable to drive my car for long distances. After I installed a new battery I tested my car to see how it was running and it felt bumpy when coming to a stop, like a malfunction was going on. So I stopped at a gas station and turned the car off. After I turned it on the car wouldn't crank and the service engine light came on... back at square one. I haven't got my oil changed in six months but I barely drove it.

Hello.

If the car doesn’t crank then there is likely an issue with the starting or electrical system. If the issue began after you installed the new battery then the first thing I would do is check the battery to make sure that is holding a charge and providing adequate power. Even if the battery is new it may be possible that it is faulty.

It may also be possible that there is an issue with the ignition switch or even the starter. If there is an issue with the ignition switch then it may cut off power to the starter, resulting in a no crank condition. The same can happen if the starter or starter solenoid are bad. I would also look at the fuses and relays to make sure that none of them are burned out or bad, as there are a few that can prevent the vehicle from starting. As no-start conditions can sometimes be difficult to diagnose, I would recommend having a professional technician, such as one from YourMechanic, come to your location to diagnose the cause of the no start condition.